Thursday, March 4, 2010

Olympic Hockey

"I don't see any smiles on the US (Mens Olympic) hockey team," said my mother. "I don't understand why they're not grateful in getting a silver. I constantly see the skiers who get the silver w/ smiles."

I KNOW she meant well but when I heard the above I winced & wanted to bang my head against the wall. LOL

How do you explain to a non-sports fan that in competitive team sports, coming in 2nd means losing? When it comes playoff or tournament time coming in 2nd is the difference between going home w/ a championship ring & spending the ENTIRE off-season thinking how close you came but came up oh-so-short?

I avoided this dilemma by completely dodging the question & changing the subject (not to mention, passing the buck to my father by having her ask him). :)


***
In other news...
***

I cannot remember if I've posted this shot before but below is Leeann, a sister of one of my dearest regulars Lauren. We almost didn't get this shot because Leeann was off to Softball practice. I worked w/ her earlier that day but not w/ this exquisite windowlight. I convinced Leeann to indulge me for some more shots & viola! The rest is history.

Since I've graduated I've learned to treat family members of the Farenell Girls not as any other customer (unless they're wanting wedding shots) because 90% of the time I'll creatively come out ahead. It was a lesson I learned that summer & have regretted (but have gotten over it since) w/ another of my treasured subjects. It was simply a situation where I was going as they were coming.

I know very well the Farenell Girl in question doesn't hold it against me but its one of those things that if I could turn back the clock & change things, I would. Oh well. Live & learn.

Photobucket

Feel free & opine if you so choose.

No comments: