Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Schoolhouse Rock

As a followup to questions I had about NBC's Winter Olympics coverage policy, I saw a NY Times article discussing why the highly publicized US-Canada Olympic hockey matchup was regulated to its sister site, MSNBC, that may be of interest to readers:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/sports/olympics/23sandomir.html?hp

***
In other news...
***


Every so often I'll get a user questioning how I did something. I'm quite the nosey person myself, so I'm not really bothered by it.

Depending on how the question is asked, it can range from benevolent curiosity to annoyance. I usually give the questioner the benefit of the doubt when its asked. That is how I took the question this time around.

I was recently questioned about one of my "iconic" images, "Schoolhouse Rock" (not a Work-safe Image).

Question: It looks like there's a flash above the model and to the right of the camera and another flash at the end of the hall?

Answer: This is all natural light w/ no reflectors. There was a skylight at the top of the building where the beams shined down for about an hour onto the floor before the sun moved & repositioned it higher.

Q: Did you change your white balance to adjust for the florescent lights?

A: No, I didn't need to adjust for the florescent light. The high noon sunbeams on a mid-May afternoon & the direction it came from completely overpowered what little artificial lighting there was.

Beyond minimal cropping, the name stamp at the bottom, a little bit of level adjustments, & spot touches to clean up sensor dust...what you're seeing here is how it came straight out of the camera.


It wasn't really in this case. But it astounds me sometimes how disbelieving some people can be. "You couldn't have possibly done that outside of Photoshop" as if I have anything to gain in lying. What the heck do I care if some random schmuck doesn't believe its the real deal. LOL

All I can do is just tell them the truth & if they don't like it, just shrug my shoulders.

Feel free to comment if you so choose.

1 comment:

Brian said...

The points made by the NYT piece are ironic because hockey is just about the only Winter Olympic sport that people actually care about in its own right.